CBD is a derivative product of cannabis. The cannabis plant can broadly be divided into two broad categories- hemp and marijuana.
Hemp contains more CBD while marijuana contains a higher amount of THC. This THC is a psychoactive component that is responsible for making you feel high.
CBD or cannabidiol is a cannabinoid that has non-toxic and non-psychotic properties. Which implies that CBD products cannot cause euphoria.
How Are CBD Products Made?
There are a variety of CBD products available such as oils, lotions, gummies, capsules etc. This variety also raises a lot of questions including the legality, benefits and manufacturing of such products.
These products are made using hemp oil which is extracted from the plant cannabis.
There are two types of oils- broad-spectrum and full spectrum. Full-spectrum products include all other components of cannabis such as terpenes, THC (up to 0.3% only) etc whereas Broad Spectrum Oil consists of all components other than THC.
It is believed that Full- spectrum products provide more benefits than Broad-spectrum oils. It is legal for companies to use THC in products up to 0.3% as such small quantities cannot have intoxicating effects.
How Does CBD Make You Feel?
CBD can have a wide range of effects depending upon the method and quantity of consumption. If you ingest CBD orally using tinctures or capsules, you are likely to feel an effect in your entire body. Oral ways start to function quickly and last longer. On the other hand, if you use CBD products externally they will produce a local effect that may take longer to start.
Some people often wonder that if CBD doesn’t make you feel high then how can it benefit you. However, the simple answer is that CBD itself has a variety of medicinal and recreational benefits that makes its usage more practical and safe. It works with the serotonin receptors of your body and improves the reproductive system, boosts immunity, uplifts your mood etc.
CBD can have both positive and negative effects. We’ve discussed some of these major effects below.
Positive Effects of CBD
- Lowers Anxiety, Depression and Stress Levels- Using any CBD product can help you reduce anxiety and calm your mind. Either consumed or used externally, CBD helps a person feel elated. It is also found in anti-anxiety or antidepressant medicines as a mild sedative, as it provides a psychotic effect without intoxicating your body.
- Improves Sleep Quality- CBD has been reported to help in a lot of sleeping issues. As your body and mind are at peace so it is natural that you feel a night of deeper and fuller sleep. People who used CBD experienced a more sound and peaceful sleep. Better sleep also means better and efficient functioning of the body.
- Reduces pain in the Body- CBD is often used to reduce muscle fatigue, inflammation of any other pain that may persist in the body. It is also found to provide relief in cases of chronic arthritis, gastrointestinal problems etc. Intensity and duration of relief depend upon the strain and quantity consumed.
- Boosts Energy- If you use CBD in the morning or before going to bed, you likely feel more energized and productive throughout the day. It produces more dopamine in your body which makes you feel happier. It regulates your mood and hormone levels throughout the day.
- Helpful in Treating Neurological Symptoms- Patients suffering from neurological disorders such as Epilepsy, Multiple Sclerosis, Lupus, Parkinson’s disease etc often find it hard to ease themselves. CBD is found to provide relief to such patients as well.
- CBD for Cancer- Studies are still going on to prove the relation between CBD and cancer symptoms. Although many scientists claim that CBD can help to reduce cancer side effects such as nausea, insomnia, body aches etc. There is also some promising evidence to show that CBD can slow the rate of cancer.
- Increased Concentration- When your mind is relaxed, you are free from any overwhelming or distracting thoughts. Thus, you can focus for longer durations. Consumption of CBD also increases the attention span of a person which enables him to be more productive and efficient in his/her everyday tasks.
- Improves Heart Health- CBD has been seen to improve your heart health by reducing blood pressure and bad cholesterol levels in your body. High blood pressure can lead to heart attack or heart stroke as well. The entire circulatory system of the body can be boosted by the use of CBD.
- Better Skin- CBD has anti-ageing properties that make your skin look vibrant and nourished. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it also reduces acne and blemishes on your skin. It rejuvenates and keeps your skin glowing.
- Antipsychotic Effects of CBD- Many researchers have shown that CBD can help patients who suffer from schizophrenia, substance abuse and other mental disorders. It has been seen that CBD improves certain brain parts that are responsible for addiction or other such psychotic issues.
Negative Effects of CBD
- Dry Mouth- People who consume CBD often feel dehydrated and have cotton or dry mouth. Along with this, it can also cause dryness or itchiness in the eyes.
- Diarrhoea- Diarrhoea is also one of the common side effects of CBD. This can be due to the body’s natural response to maintain homeostasis or get rid of toxins.
- Fatigue- Sometimes CBD consumption can make you feel lethargic and tired the next day. Improved sleep quality and a relaxed mind may contribute to this. You might end up feeling drowsy or sleepy during the day.
- Decreased/Increased Appetite- Initially, a person may feel an increase in appetite or an urge to keep munching something. This is the popular and controversial “munching theory”. Although, after a while, you may notice a decrease in your appetite and weight.
- Ill-effects with other medicines- If you’re on a certain medication refer to your doctor before consuming CBD as it may interact with your ongoing medicines such as blood thinners, antipsychotic medicines etc and produce some undesired bodily reactions.
- Addictive- Over and frequent consumption of CBD can lead to CBD addiction which can hamper your physical and mental development. CBD abuse can do more harm than good. Therefore, you must consume it within limits.
- Harmful for Pregnant or Lactating Women- CBD can be harmful to women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. It can mix with other ingredients of the mother’s body and cause damage to the foetus.
The bottom line is that consumption of CBD can not necessarily make you feel high. However, there is an increasing trend of CBD consumption.
It is important to know your body and ingest anything accordingly. Though CBD is now legal and the benefits outnumber the side effects of CBD, make sure you consume it in limited quantities. Use high quality and certified products to make sure they do not contain any other harmful components.
If you feel any discomfort after consuming CBD you should refer to your doctor immediately. The research is still going on to provide results for the correct dosage, efficacy and benefits of CBD. Thus, we should be cautious and well aware before consuming any of these products.