Sublingual CBD may sound like a literary device you use when you are talking about two languages or something. But… It is not! At Least that’s what people who do not know about Marijuana thought. Or was it just me?
If that was or was not the case with you, I’m here to clear all your doubts about sublingual CBD.
Sublingual CBD is a term used to describe one of the most effective methods to take in the cannabis-derived CBD compound. Sublingual Cancer-related means, “under the tongue”. From this, we come to understand that these chemical compounds are consumed by placing them under the tongue.
Before we start talking about what sublingual CBD is, we should understand what CBD is.
What Exactly Is CBD?
CBD is a chemical compound naturally occurring from the Cannabidiol Sativa plant. It is short for cannabidiol. It is also known as marijuana or help.
It is used to give the users a feeling of relaxation and calmness. It is used in edibles and oils. It does not have psychoactive properties like that of THC. THC or Tetrahydrocannabinol is one of the main components in marijuana.
Let’s Talk About Sublingual Administration
Sublingual administration is the method of giving drugs or medication by placing them under the tongue for effective absorption of the drug into the bloodstream of an individual. They can come in the form of tablets which dissolve or film through into the mucous membranes of the bloodstreams.
Why Is This Method Effective?
This method is very effective because of the tiny blood capillaries under the tongue. You must be thinking… HOW?! Well, the area of these tiny blood capillaries absorbs medication or drugs very swiftly into the system. There is no pit stop at the digestive system, a direct journey into where it has to go!
The Good and the Bad in Sublingual Administration
- The medicine or drugs that are consumed through this method is absorbed into the bloodstream rapidly which results in a better outcome or effect.
- For people with swallowing difficulties or who have trouble digesting medication, this method is a relief.
- A lower amount of drug taken through this method is much more effective than any other method. Since the drugs or the medication are not passing through the Digestive system, the drugs are not metabolized in the liver. So even if you take a lower dosage of the medication sublingually, the outcome would be equivalent to any other method.
- Some drugs require time to get absorbed into the system. Such drugs cannot be consumed sublingually. For such cases, this method is not proven that successful.
- How effective the consumption of medication sublingually is determined by certain other factors like smoking, drinking or eating. They can affect medication absorption. Therefore this is a Red flag!
- And finally, if you have open sores, your mouth can get irritated while taking some medicines or drugs.
Why Should We Take Medications Sublingually?
- You do not experience trouble swallowing or digesting drugs.
- Only a lower amount of medication is required when taken sublingually.
- If taken orally, the medication goes directly to the digestive system and digestion will decrease the effectiveness of the drugs.
- The drugs get directly absorbed into the bloodstream which gives a better result much more efficiently.
Sublingual Administration of CBD
Although there are many ways to administer CBD, Sublingual and Buccal are the most powerful methods as there are quick results in these methods.
What Is The Difference Between Buccal Administration And Sublingual Administration?
The basic difference between buccal administration and sublingual administration of CBD is that in buccal administration the CBD oil or the CBD products are kept between the cheek and the gums in our mouth.
Whereas, in Sublingual administration, the CBD products are kept under the tongue. Both of these methods give almost the same result, as this does not consume too much time to reach the system. If the CBD was taken orally, then the products would have to travel too much, which would be ineffective.
Let us explain the process if CBD was to be taken orally.
- First, the product would have to be consumed orally.
- Second, the product should be digested by our body.
- Third, the drug is processed inside the gastrointestinal system.
- And finally, enters the bloodstream.
Now, let’s look at how sublingual administration works.
- First, place the oil drops under the tongue.
- Second, wait for approximately 60 seconds.
- Voila! The drug has entered your bloodstream.
How Does It Work Exactly?
Underneath the tongue, is a thin membrane called the mucous membrane. This membrane allows the drug to absorb and pass through the bloodstream rapidly. Basically, these membranes are full of blood vessels. The main function of these blood vessels is to supply blood from the heart to the organs in our body and vice versa.
Due to the very thin nature of these mucous membranes, the drug can be absorbed directly into the blood vessels. For most people, it takes almost one minute to get absorbed into the system. For different people, the process is different.
How Much Is The Right Amount?
Now listen carefully, the “too much CBD” is not yet verified by professionals. But before that let’s talk about how much the right amount is.
Medical experts recommend a bottle of 500 ml 0r 1000 ml of CBD oil or tincture to start with. It is recommended that we start with a small amount of CBD oil, that is, 1 ml a day and then slowly increase the dosage as per the requirement.
But something that we should keep in our mind is that, it is not a matter of how much you take in but how much CBD your body can take in!
Some of the major factors that CBD products are dependent on are our body weight, body chemistry, and what condition we are trying to treat.
Therefore it is highly advised that you go see a medical professional or doctor before using CBD or other related products.
Potential Side Effects
Actually, there isn’t much to say in here rather than some mild side effects.
- Fatigue or extreme tiredness due to the medication.
- Change in appetite.
- Change in body weight.
But… It is always advised to consult with your doctor before starting CBD products because if you are already following a different medication, it could cause some severe or harmful disturbances. Especially if a medicine comes with a Grapefruit warning. This is because both grapefruit and CBD interfere with drug metabolism which may cause our body harm.
Sublingual CBD Is The Good Stuff
An article about sublingual CBD without talking about how much good it has done to mankind would be bad!
So here goes…
- It is great for pain relief.
- You may or may not be able to say bye-bye to depression and anxiety!
- Help reduce cancer related symptoms.
- It may help people with neurological disorders.
- Certain studies prove that it may reduce high blood pressure, which will result in reduced stress and better heart health.
- CBD oil may help reduce acne.
- It could show a significant decrease in diabetes.
That was CBD for y’all!
With the right amount of information, CBD consumption can be simple and effective. Most people start with CBD oils, gummies, or other CBD-related products without knowledge. But with the right products, your health and wellness journey could flourish. I would also like to ask you to stay healthy and stay educated for better results with CBD.